The collection of over 100 sculptures in the Open Air Gallery in Kostanjevica, Slovenia arose out of the International Symposiums of Sculptors called Forma viva, an initiative of Slovenian sculptors Jakob Savinšek and Janez Lenassi. Modelled on the symposium held in St Margharethen (Austria, 1959), the first two symposia were organised in Kostanjevica na Krki (local oak-wood) and in Seča near Portorož (stone) in 1961. Two other venues followed later: Ravne na Koroškem (1964, steel) and Maribor (1967, reinforced concrete). This project of sculpture in the open-air has involved sculptors from all over the world. There are now altogether over 300 sculptures.